Friday, October 4, 2013

The South Belt Car Crash Collection

One of the really delightful things about sitting on the floor pulling out handfuls of old pictures and sorting through them are the unexpected threads you pick up. 

Since the Leader's focus has always been the local pieces of interest, if they got news of a wreck somewhere in the neighborhood, they'd head over to snap a photo and run it in the next edition of the paper. You can't beat car wrecks for interesting photos.

These are the ones I came across that afternoon, all without context or information (which I might be able to fill in on my next trip when I'll be accessing the papers themselves), save for the last two, which are of the airplane that crash landed and ran into the side of a house on the edge of a field. According to Marie, the pilot was busted for not only flying under the influence, but also drug running. 

Without further ado...














1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh the famous airplane landing .That was just behind where the McDonalds on Beamer is.I don't know if you know the story on this or not.The pilot was flying low to stay off radar.He hit some power lines and crashed .He then ran on foot .The plane was loaded with pot.I heard the plane and then our power was knocked out .I asked my dad if I could go see what was going on and found it very quickly .Also thank you very much for doing this blog.It lets us Southbelters take a trip dowm memory lane

    ReplyDelete