Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A South Belt Wish List



I'm always asking (okay, more realistically, begging) for people raised in the South Belt area to share photos for the archive. 

It rarely works. 

I know, most people don't have a lot of photos from the 60s through the 90s digitized in a way that makes them easy to be shared. And lots of people have lost their photos from the numerous house floods in the area over the years. 

But still, I hope. 

I know there's gold out there, if not with you, then among your parents' and grandparents' old closets and attics and storage sheds. 

As always, if you have anything that needs digitizing from the area, I am happy to help. I will be in the neighborhood again in February to do on-site scanning and I'm up for climbing through dusty attics to extricate things if necessary. 

In the meantime, here are a few places I have on my wish list that seem like they might have been photographed, at least at birthday parties or club parties, more frequently than other places. 

Big shout out again to Michelle Roeder for pulling books and books of photo albums out for me to scavenge through!



The Putt-Putt Miniature Golf Course on I-45 between Monroe and Airport:



As well as the SuperTrack go-kart racing course


Or the SuperTrack game room


Or the Gold Mine Arcade



Pipe Organ Pizza, interior and exterior






Any photos from events inside Almeda Mall: 





Or particular places/restaurants/stores inside the Mall




Photos from Peppermint Park







Any photos of our two Ice Cream places: Sweet Sues and Sweet Dreams





Any and all holiday events happening around the area
















My white whale for years was the Foley's Shoe Ship. 

Now? It's the interior of the McDonald's on Edgebrook with the bi-plane seating inside. 

I have not been able to find a single photo of this thing and if it weren't for you guys assuring me I'm not crazy, I'd have thought I dreamed it up. Even Google lets me down. This is the only thing they've got, and it's not what I'm looking for. (Although, admittedly, pretty cool...)











1 comment:

  1. Just found this. Thank you so much for archiving and sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete