Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken in Sagemont

I did not spot this photo in any of the papers I went through, but when I went to sharpen it up in Photoshop, I spotted the two ladies wearing the Ron's aprons. So, if I ever track down the real story, I'll be sure to update, but in the meantime, Ron's!

I only came across one ad for Ron's in the Leader in 1978, and it appears to be a different location than the one I remember on Hughes near the 7-11 and across from the Sagemont Pool.


But later in '78, both locations are listed, so perhaps Ron's only moved in that year



You can see Ron's (if you squint or make the photo full screen) in the background here:


They sold to Church's in 1983, as did a number of smaller fried chicken operations around Texas, but most folks who grew up in the area remember Ron's very fondly, especially that smell whenever you were anywhere around that end of Hughes.

The newest thing at the end of their run as Ron's would be the new-fangled chicken nugget:


Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken / KPRC Ernest Xmas... by weatherguru76

2 comments:

  1. I remember Ron's chcken. There was one we went to by Gulfgate Mall. It was nice to try something different than Church's which was too greasy or Popeye's or Kentucky. Once my dad discovered it (unfortunately towards their demise) we would eat it for dinner once a week. There were 6 of us kids plus mom and dad so we ordered the works! Chicken, biscuits, corn on the cob. You are right about the smell once we got out of the car I think it was the aroma of the chicken and rolls. I miss Ron's Chicken....I miss the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a proud member of Ron's fried Chicken at work to them until they changed over to church

    ReplyDelete