Friday, September 27, 2013

1969 J. Frank Dobie Yearbook Roundup Volume 1

1968

J. Frank Dobie High School opened its doors in the fall of 1968 to nearly 1000 students, and only a handful of them seniors. The students who lived in the area had previously been bussed over to South Houston High School and seniors had to option to finish out their last year at SHHS.

It was the first high school built that was entirely air conditioned, which would have been enough of an incentive, even if I had been a senior, to hop on over. 

(It was also almost entirely windowless, which, really doesn't add a lot of charm, but it's pretty convenient during tornadoes.)

Since I had limited time on this first treasure hunting trip and some 20 yearbooks to get through, I came away with just some highlights from each. My main focus was images that captured the area, either with interior or exterior shots in the background that dated the photos in some way to the South Belt region.

Here are the pages from the 1968-1969 inaugural class and the Dobie Roundup, Volume 1 


I am fascinated by the original yearbook cover, mainly because I can't figure out what it's supposed to be. It's also on an interior page, printed in orange. Edited to add: a-ha! I think it's the layout of the front of the school. See picture below.




See the center left photo's planters and walkways? I'm guessing this is the design for the cover. 
Any guesses what it's based on?







Woolworth?


(Battlesteins or Foleys?) 


Mr. Brawn




(I ran into an organizational snafu when I scanned between the 1969 and 1973 yearbooks without keeping clear track and I've already confused one class officer group picture. All corrections, additions, and information are welcomed in the comments.) 







2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Would you happen to have any of my mother, Susan Hillis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a single photo of her in the book in the class photos section. If you'd like, I can email it to you? Reach me at torimask at yahoo.com

      Delete